New Zealand’s leading supplier of steel sheds and buildings has launched a major programme to protect our children as they wait for buses on rural school routes. The Undercover Kids Programme is a nationwide initiative and Totalspan’s way of saying ‘thank you’ to the communities in which they do business. All rural schools are being urged to make the most of this opportunity and apply for shelters in their area. And what’s more, it won’t cost the community anything!
We’d also like to thank our suppliers, local communities, councils, local government and government bodies – without their support the Totalspan Undercover Kids Programme wouldn’t be possible.
The Totalspan charitable trust is aiming to keep increasing the number supplied in the coming years.
We believe the safety of our children is paramount, so we’re committed to the continued support of the Undercover Kids Bus Shelter Programme as our way of underscoring how important the rural community is to us.
Key points of the Totalspan Undercover Kids Programme:
- We have approved over 450 Undercover Kids bus shelters to date.
- We will this year provide 50 more bus shelters for rural and provincial school bus routes throughout the country to help keep our children safe.
- Totalspan will provide the shelters for the community to use and will erect the shelters on prefabricated concrete slab.
- We’ll again work with the school and community to handle any consent issues and will remain responsible for the ongoing maintenance and repairs.
- The schools will liaise and work with landowners for agreement on placement (or Council where appropriate).
- We want to continue to work alongside the councils to make sure the placement is right, we follow the right processes and that it’s a win for everyone.
- An engineering certificate and OSH report are available.
Key points about the shelters:
- Steel structure and cladding, from best quality steel designed to withstand NZ conditions.
- Designed to protect rural children from the elements and passing traffic.
- Provide a safe environment to wait.
- Designed for high visibility (so that waiting passengers can be seen by a bus driver). Designed for safety (so that they do not provide a hiding place for criminal activity).
- Aesthetically pleasing, finished in Titania (off-white) cladding with attractive gable end roof in New Denim Blue.
- 1.565 X 2.325m footprint.
Totalspan continues to work very closely with councils, NZ Land Transport Agency, Federated Farmers, New Zealand Principals' Federation, New Zealand School Trustees Association, Rural Women's Network and the Ministry of Education in a series of successful partnerships developed in 2008.